World News

Journalist from Dagestan, Russia threatened with death in a phone call

New York, July 27, 2020 – Authorities in the Russian republic of Dagestan should conduct a swift and thorough investigation into the death threat against journalist Svetlana Anokhina and ensure she has adequate protection, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.
On July 22, a man called Anokhina and threatened to kill her, the journalist told CPJ in a phone interview. Anokhina, a Dagestani journalist, is the chief editor of Daptar.ru, an independent site dedicated to women’s issues in the Caucasus.

Anokhina told CPJ that the threat may have been in response to her journalistic work. She said that the timing of the call made her believe that it may have been about one specific article she edited on a controversial case. The article, published on Daptar.ru the day before the threat was made, alleged that Chechen and federal-level authorities failed to investigate the alleged murder of a Chechen woman by her husband. On the day of its publication, Anokhina shared and discussed the story on her Facebook page, which counts more than 6,000 followers.

“Authorities in Dagestan should thoroughly investigate the death threat against journalist Svetlana Anokhina and hold the perpetrators to account,” said Gulnoza Said, CPJ’s Europe and Central Asia program coordinator. “Anokhina covers important issues for Russia’s North Caucasus, such as women’s rights. She and other journalists must be able to do their work without fear of repercussions, and the government should ensure their safety and take such threats seriously.”

Anokhina said a man called her on her mobile phone multiple times between 6-7 p.m. on July 22, though the first three or four calls were dropped due to a poor connection. Anokhina said that on the next call, the man confirmed he was speaking to her. After that call dropped, Anokhina said she recorded the subsequent phone call on her phone. In the recording, which CPJ reviewed, the man said he was “given orders to take care of these feminists,” and that his relative was the “boss” at the Soviet district police station of the Dagestani capital Makhachkala. He is then heard introducing himself and saying that he will kill Anokhina.

After hanging up, Anokhina said she looked up the phone number, and found that it was registered to a different name. Looking up that name, she found an Instagram account with photos featuring location tags in Dagestan and the neighboring republic of Chechnya. Anokhina said she sent this information to the number that called her, via messaging app. She said a man called back and denied that he was the man who initially called her and that he had threatened her life.

Anokhina told CPJ that she previously received threats over her journalistic work. On July 14, she criticized Magomed Kurbandibirov, deputy imam of the Grand Mosque of Makhachkala, in posts on Facebook and Instagram after Kurbandibirov made statements in support of female circumcision in an interview with a Russian journalist. After that, Anokhina received several anonymous messages on her social media accounts insulting her and demanding her to “shut up,” she told CPJ.

In 2018, she received tens of anonymous messages on social media from people threatening to “find her” and “put her into the ground” after she wrote Facebook posts criticizing Eldar Iraziev, an entertainer and blogger formerly based in Dagestan, who had condemned an upcoming anime festival as “immoral” on his Instagram account, which has since been deleted, said Anokhina. She told CPJ she defended the festival, which was eventually canceled after Iraziev’s supporters threatened the organizers and would-be participants, according to media reports. CPJ reviewed the screenshots of some of these messages containing insults and threats; Anokhina told CPJ she has deleted the majority of the messages.

Anokhina said the July 22 phone call was the first time she received a direct death threat on the phone. “I am worried, because sooner or later these threats could be implemented,” she told CPJ. She said that the Instagram photos tagged in Chechnya made her concerned that the threat had a potential connection to the republic. “Any reasonable person would feel concerned when Chechnya is involved, because of the republic’s bloodthirsty regime,” Anokhina said.

On April 13, Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov publicly threatened journalist Elena Milashina, a correspondent for independent newspaper Novaya Gazeta, over her COVID-19 reporting, as CPJ reported at the time. In March, a group of unidentified people beat up Milashina and human rights lawyer Marina Dubrovina in the Chechen capital Grozny, as CPJ documented.
Anokhina told CPJ that she filed a complaint about the threatening call on the website of Dagestan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs. Reached by CPJ via phone on July 24, Gayana Garieva, head of the ministry’s Department of Information and Public Relations, told CPJ that the ministry received Anokhina’s complaint and is investigating the matter.

More On:
Alerts
Europe & Central Asia
Russia
More On:
Chechnya
Dagestan
Daptar.ru
Svetlana Anokhina
Threatened
Журналистке из Дагестана угрожают убийством по телефону

Нью-Йорк, 27 июля 2020 г. – Органы власти в российской республике Дагестан должны провести быстрое и тщательное расследование угрозы убийством журналистке Светлане Анохиной, и обеспечить ей надлежащую защиту, заявил сегодня Комитет по защите журналистов.

22 июля Анохиной позвонил мужчина и угрожал ее убить, как сообщила журналистка КЗЖ в телефонном интервью. Анохина – дагестанский журналист, главный редактор независимого сайта Daptar.ru, освещающего положение женщин на Кавказе.

Анохина сказала КЗЖ, что угроза могла быть связана с ее журналистской деятельностью. По ее словам, звонок с угрозой был сделан сразу после публикации статьи на проблематичную тему, которую журналистка редактировала, что может указывать на связь угрозы с данной публикацией. В статье, опубликованной на Daptar.ru за день до угрозы, говорится о том, что чеченские власти и власти федерального уровня не провели адекватного расследования предполагаемого убийства чеченской женщины ее мужем. В день публикации Анохина поделилась и прокомментировала статью на своей странице в Facebook, которая насчитывает более 6000 подписчиков.

«Власти Дагестана должны тщательно расследовать угрозу убийством журналистке Светлане Анохиной и привлечь виновных к ответственности», – сказала Гульноза Саид, координатор программы КЗЖ по Европе и Центральной Азии. – «Анохина освещает важные для российского Северного Кавказа вопросы, такие как права женщин. Она и другие журналисты должны иметь возможность выполнять свою работу, не опасаясь последствий, а правительство должно обеспечивать их безопасность, и серьезно подойти к этим угрозам».

Анохина сказала, что 22 июля мужчина несколько раз звонил ей по мобильному телефону в районе 6-7 часов вечера, хотя первые три или четыре звонка были прерваны из-за плохой связи. По словам журналистки, во время очередного звонка мужчина удостоверился, что разговаривает со Светланой Анохиной. После того, как и этот звонок прервался, Анохина записала следующий телефонный звонок на свой телефон, сказала журналистка. В записи, которую прослушал КЗЖ, мужчина сказал, что ему «дали указание разобраться с этими феминистками», и что его родственник – «начальник» в Советском районном отделении полиции Махачкалы. Затем он представился и пригрозил Анохиной убийством.

Анохина сказала, что сумела выяснить, на кого зарегистрирован номер телефона звонящего, и обнаружила, что это имя не совпадает с именем, которым представился человек, грозивший ей убийством. Она также нашла Instagram-аккаунт с именем человека, с чьего телефона был сделан звонок с угрозой, и обнаружила в нем фотографии с отметками геолокации в Дагестане и соседней Чечне. Анохина сказала, что отправила эту информацию на номер, с которого был сделал звонок, используя приложение для обмена сообщениями. По ее словам, после этого мужчина перезвонил ей и отрицал, что он звонил ей или угрожал ее жизни.

Анохина сказала КЗЖ, что ранее она также получала угрозы в связи с ее журналистской работой. 14 июля она подвергла критике Магомеда Курбандибирова, заместителя имама Центральной Джума-мечети Махачкалы, в Facebook и Instagram после того, как Курбандибиров выступил с заявлениями в поддержку женского обрезания в интервью российскому журналисту. После этого Анохина получила несколько анонимных сообщений в социальных сетях, оскорбляющих ее и требующих «заткнуться», сказала она КЗЖ.

В 2018 году она получила десятки анонимных сообщений в социальных сетях от людей, угрожающих «найти ее» и «закопать в землю» после того, как она написала в Facebook посты с критикой Эльдара Иразиева, артиста и блогера, ранее проживавшего в Дагестане, сказала Анохина. По словам журналистки, Иразиев осудил аниме-фестиваль и назвал его аморальным в своем аккаунте в Instagram, который с тех пор был удален, сказала Анохина. Она сообщила КЗЖ, что выступала в поддержку проведения фестиваля, который в итоге был отменен после того, как сторонники Иразиева угрожали организаторам и потенциальным участникам, согласно сообщениям СМИ. КЗЖ просмотрел скриншоты некоторых из этих сообщений, содержащих оскорбления и угрозы; Анохина сообщила КЗЖ, что большинство сообщений она удалила.

Анохина сказала, что 22 июля впервые получила прямую угрозу убийством по телефону. «Я беспокоюсь, потому что рано или поздно эти угрозы могут быть воплощены в жизнь», – сказала она КЗЖ. Она отметила, что фотографии из Instagram, с отметкой геолокации в Чечне, заставили ее опасаться, что угроза может быть потенциально связана с республикой. «Любой разумный человек будет обеспокоен, когда речь идет о Чечне, потому что там кровожадный режим», – сказала Анохина.

13 апреля чеченский лидер Рамзан Кадыров публично угрожал журналистке Елене Милашиной, корреспонденту независимой газеты «Новая газета», в связи с ее репортажем COVID-19, как тогда сообщал КЗЖ. В марте группа неустановленных людей избила Милашину и адвоката по правам человека Марину Дубровину в столице Чечни Грозном, как было задокументировано КЗЖ.

Анохина рассказала КЗЖ, что подала жалобу в связи с угрозой через официальный сайт МВД Дагестана. Гаяна Гариева, глава Отдела информации и общественных связей министерства, сказала КЗЖ в телефонном интервью что министерство получило жалобу Анохиной, и в настоящее время проводит расследование.

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker